Breastfeeding Training Sessions
WIC encourages all health care and community-based partners who offer support to breastfeeding women and infants to attend these training sessions. Be part of a community where all moms receive consistent messaging at every domain of care.
Live Training is Sponsored by:
- Texas Health and Human Services (HHS)
- Women, Infants and Children (WIC) Special Supplemental Nutrition Program and
- Texas Association of Local WIC Directors (TALWD)
Scheduled Training Available
For continuing education information, content or registration questions for the live training listed below, visit: TALWD.org or call 512-341-4457.
Lactation Principles -Formerly POLM
- One-day course addressing the fundamentals of breastfeeding, baby behavior and counseling.
- Participants engage in interactive activities and review case studies to enhance learning.
- No prerequisite to attend.
Advanced Lactation Management -Formerly LCPS
- Two-day course addressing advanced breastfeeding concerns.
- Participants build on concepts covered in LP and apply critical thinking and problem-solving to case studies and various skill-based activities.
- Prerequisite: Principles of Lactation Management or Lactation Principles, no more than three years prior.
Training with Lactation Support Centers
Additional training opportunities for health care providers are offered by the WIC/DSHS Lactation Support Centers located in Austin, Dallas, Houston, McAllen and San Antonio. The Lactation Support Centers offer valuable no-cost services to all Texas families, including lactation consults, prenatal and maternity/infant care classes, support groups and strong community partnerships.
Training opportunities for health care providers include breastfeeding courses, opportunities for observation, rotations for medical residents, physician training, nursing student programs and more! Please reach out to your nearest center for additional information and requirements.