New- WIC Partner Training is online!
The Texas WIC program is excited to announce the launch of a new online training platform in 2017! The WIC Partner Training Site offers the opportunity to attend free, online training that can be completed on your own time and at your own pace.
What training is available?
- Breastfeeding Management (BFM)- Self-paced training consists of 5 parts and can be completed at your own pace.
- Breastfeeding the Compromised Infant (BFCI)- Self-paced training that will consist of 5 parts. This activity has been submitted to the Texas Nurses Association for approval to award contact hours. Texas Nurses Association – Approver is accredited as an approver of continuing nursing education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.
- Infant Formula: Navigating Marketing & Health Claims – this one hour presentation is currently in a live webinar format and provides a variety of continuing education credits. Check the website when available for specific dates and times.
- Nipple Shields – This training can be attended by any staff interested in learning more about the use of nipple shields. The training is created with WIC staff in mind, but is a great training for hospital staff and people seeing moms in an outpatient setting. By the end of the training, you will have a better understanding as to when to use a nipple shield, as well as appropriate measures you need to take to follow up.
HHSC Live breastfeeding training listed below are currently available in six Texas locations each year:
Principles of Lactation Management (POLM- 2 day) Participants will be able to counsel families about the benefits of breastfeeding, assist mothers in managing common breastfeeding problems, make appropriate referrals, teach breastfeeding classes, prepare breastfeeding materials, and support breastfeeding through breastfeeding-friendly policies and procedures.
Lactation Counseling and Problem Solving (LCAPS- 1 day) This newly revised course is designed for health professionals who counsel breastfeeding mothers and would like to improve problem-solving skills. The class emphasizes critical thinking skills and reinforces concepts learned in the Principles of Lactation Management (POLM) course.
This is an intermediate level course and is activity oriented. Small groups will work through case studies and rotate through skills activities. Be prepared to join the discussions and share your ideas with others in your group. While anyone may attend, this class is most suitable for WIC Breastfeeding Coordinators, labor and delivery nurses, postpartum nurses, home visiting nurses and those striving to sit for the International Board of Lactation Consultant Examiners (IBLCE) exam.
**Use HHSC Training to Assist Your Facility to Meet Baby Friendly Step 2 Education Requirements!
Completion of the two day- POLM training will assist your facility staff to partially fulfill the Baby Friendly USA 15 hour Step 2-training requirements (Appendix A linked below).
Additionally, the 5 hours of supervised skill competencies that would require development in your facility include:
- Communicating with pregnant and postpartum women about infant feeding
- Observing and assisting with breastfeeding
- Teaching hand expression and safe storage of milk
- Teaching safe formula preparation and feeding
The following one-day HHSC breastfeeding training can be scheduled on-site:
HHSC offers three different courses for physicians. Each course is 1.5 hours long and may be used to fulfill training requirements for Baby-Friendly designation. These courses provide an overview of evidence-based maternity care practices that are known to improve breastfeeding duration and exclusivity. They also address common breastfeeding challenges and recommended management protocols. A minimum of 20 physicians in attendance is required to schedule training.
- Supporting Breastfeeding When Challenges Occur
- The Ten Steps: Evidence-based Care to Support the Mother-Baby Dyad, Steps 1-4
- The Ten Steps: Evidence-based Care to Support the Mother-Baby Dyad, Steps 5-10
**class availability dependent on Physician-led instructor schedule
For more information or questions on training, contact:
For more information on other Step 2 breastfeeding training, click HERE.