Texas HHSC and WIC offer multiple resources for breastfeeding mothers that assist them in reaching their breastfeeding goals. Pregnant mothers are encouraged to enroll in the WIC program as early in their pregnancy as possible in order to obtain proper nutrition assessment, counseling, and referrals. While the information and support provided by WIC is tailored to each client, every pregnant mom is counseled using motivational interviewing techniques to identify barriers to breastfeeding, to validate their concerns, and to provide them education and coping skills to overcome their barriers.
WIC Eligibility-Who is eligible and who can apply for WIC?
- Pregnant women.
- Women who are breastfeeding a baby under 1 year of age.
- Women who have had a baby in the past six months.
- Parents, step-parents, guardians, and foster parents of infants and children under the age of 5 can apply for their children.
For more eligibility information, please click here.
Find a local WIC agency
Lactation Care Centers- Post-discharge Breastfeeding Support Clinics
HHSC Online Resources
BreastmilkCounts.com and Lechematernacuenta.com
This award winning website for pregnant and breastfeeding mothers is offered in both English and Spanish and provides an overview of the importance of breastfeeding with helpful tips, tools, and resources. Visitors can download a free Sing to Me lullaby album featuring Texas artists, sign up for the Belly to Baby newsletter, watch inspiring testimonial videos, or make a custom-designed birth announcement!
Healthy Texas Babies
The Healthy Texas Babies initiative was developed using evidence-based interventions to help Texas communities decrease infant mortality. It involves community members, health-care providers, and insurance companies. A reduction in infant mortality will improve the health of Texas babies and mothers and has the potential to save millions of dollars in health-care costs.
Other Helpful Online Resources
Breastfeeding info and more from a mom who is also a lactation consultant.
Offers free weekly health tips on pregnancy and breastfeeding delivered via text message.
- Breastfeeding In Combat Boots
The Internet home for any and all information about breastfeeding in the military.
Texas Donor Milk Banks
- Breastfeeding Made Simple Nancy Morbacher and Kathleen Kendall-Tackett discuss the Seven Natural Laws of Breastfeeding for nursing mothers. These are laws you can use to get breastfeeding off to a good start by avoiding common challenges.
- The Womanly Art Of Breastfeeding Real–mom wisdom, expert information, and proven strategies for breastfeeding at every stage—from La Leche League International.
- Dr. Jack Newman’s Guide to Breastfeeding This book is based on Dr. Newman’s understanding of breastfeeding and breastfeeding issues, based on his own family experience, teachings from others interested in lactation, and nearly 20 years of helping mothers with breastfeeding problems.