This training module is for health care professionals, health care administrators, and students interested in protecting, supporting, and promoting breastfeeding in accordance with the Baby Friendly Hospital Initiative and Texas Ten Step Program.
The Ten Steps to Successful Breastfeeding Module will help you:
1. Summarize the benefits of early and exclusive breastfeeding for mother and baby.
2. Examine the anatomy and physiology of lactation.
3. Analyze the role of the baby in milk production.
4. Given a case study, assess how to make your practice or birth facility more breastfeeding friendly.
5. Propose labor and delivery practices that support breastfeeding.
6. Recommend a breastfeeding position that is often used following a cesarean delivery.
7. Evaluate effective latch.
8. Analyze contraindications to breastfeeding.
9. Determine how to promote patient-centered communication about breastfeeding.
10. Given a case study, develop a collaborative health-care plan.
11. Summarize the benefits and risks of different infant feeding methods.
12. Employ recommendations to support breastfeeding after a mother returns to the workplace.
The free module consists of 3 courses and continuing education units (CEUs) are available for various disciplines.
1. Ten Steps to Successful Breastfeeding: Breastfeeding Overview – 1.25 CEUs
2. Ten Steps to Successful Breastfeeding: Birth Practices that Support Breastfeeding – 1.75 CEUs
3. Ten Steps to Successful Breastfeeding: Prenatal and Postnatal Practices that Support Breastfeeding – 1.5 CEUs